Closing your pool for winter is the most important step in ensuring it lasts season after season. But, with so many different how-tos available online how can you be sure you are closing it correctly? That’s what we’re here for.
We have composed a list of generic steps to help you with your pool closings:
- A few days before you plan to close sweep all silt off the bottom of the pool and remove all debris
- Two days before closing add a phosphate remover to prevent and kill algae
- Run the filter for 24-48hours
- On Closing Day add or remove water to reach the level specified in your owner’s manual
- Balance the chemistry of your pool: total alkalinity should be between 80-120ppm and the pH between 7.4 and 7.6
- Drain pool lines and add antifreeze to prevent damage to your pipes
- Turn off all power to support equipment and remove fuses/turn circuit breakers to off
- Remove and store ladders, slides, and diving boards
- Install your safety cover, winter cover, or leaf net**
**optionally install an air pillow first. An Air Pillow is a large air pocket underneath your cover that stops water/snow from pooling in the center of your cover
Remember, if you have any questions you stop in the store or give our friendly experts a call and we will be more than happy to help you.